After you’ve read and heard the study on Ruth 2, I hope the following questions aid in your own meditation of God’s Word. If you personally reflect on these questions before your discussion groups, it will tremendously enrichen your time together to be more edifying to yourself and everybody else.
Remember that as a group you do not have to cover all of these questions. Set a time limit and stick with it! And please don’t sacrifice time for sharing prayer requests and praying for one another.
- Introduce yourselves if you do not all know each other
- Which part of Ruth 2 sticks out to you or speaks out to you the most?
- What is meant by the bitter and sweet providence of God? Have you ever tasted the bitter providence of God? Have you ever tasted the sweet providence of God? Please share.
- How can you live in greater awareness that God’s heavenly, hidden hand is at work in your life? What can awaken you to this truth? What causes you to forget it?
- Which aspect of love in this passage most sticks out to you (unconditional, providing, protecting, serving)? Talk about it. What draws you to that specific aspect of love? Have you received it? Have you given it? Have you seen it in action?
- For women: Is there an aspect of Ruth’s life and character that resonates with you, challenges you, inspires you, etc? Elaborate.
- For men: Is there an aspect of Boaz’s life and character that resonates with you, challenges you, inspires you, etc? Elaborate.
- Have you ever felt “rocked” to the core by God’s undeserved generosity and grace the way Ruth was? Can you describe the type of experience that was for you? If you haven’t experienced this before, pray that the Spirit would do it in you!
- Under what wings are you finding your refuge and shelter? What are you trusting in to be your security and protection in life? How do those things provide refuge and rest?
- How have you been doing at being the face of God’s kindness to others? Who may the Lord be calling you to be the face of his kindness toward?