Scripture: Jonah 1-4
Group Discussion Questions
- As a group, summarize the sermon together into a few sentences.
- Share something you found either interesting, memorable, convicting, confusing or challenging about the passage/sermon.
- Is it easier to see yourself as a person in need of mercy or others as more in need of mercy? Explain. Do you see yourself as one of the “bad guys” – immoral, irreligious, disobedient – or as one of the “good guys” – moral, religious, obedient? What does it mean to you that nobody is beyond the reach of God’s mercy and nobody is beyond the need for God’s mercy? What hope or comfort does that offer to you or others?
- List the three highlighted aspects of “the spirit of Jonah.” Which do you sense in yourself most? What other things can you add to this list? Can you share an example of how self-righteousness has manifested itself in your life?
- Express how this sermon helps you understand, appreciate and worship Jesus more. In what ways has the gospel become more alive to you having read this passage and heard this message?
- Everybody should formulate a one sentence prayer response and request to everything heard and discussed. Have a few people share what they came up with.