Please use the following questions to aid in your own personal meditation on wisdom and parenting in Proverbs as well as be a guide for your group discussion. You can find the sermon on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/ZyPkezDZWOY
Remember that as a group you do not have to cover all of these questions. You can dive deeper into fewer questions as long as you don’t go off on an irrelevant tangent. Also, group members feel free to ask follow up questions! Please respect everybody’s time and don’t sacrifice time for sharing prayer requests and praying for one another.
Personal Reflection/Group Discussion Questions:
- What stood out to you most about the teaching? What was most challenging, confusing, convicting or clarifying to you?
- Did you personally experience godly and wise parenting in your own childhood? What kinds of things did you commit to not following in the footsteps of your parents and what kinds of things did you want to model after them?
- Make a list of things that are most important for a godly and wise parent to be and do for his/her child(ren)? Are those things easy or difficult? Why?
- What are the challenges/difficulties that you face or that you can imagine facing as a growing godly and wise parent? In what area do you want to commit to grow personally?
- Do you tend to be a parent/person who 1) confronts with law and expects change with more law or 2) never confronts with law and so ignores need to change by grace? What are the failures in these two ways. Articulate to one another how the gospel way works and how it is a better way.
- How does the world’s expectations of parents and the Word’s expectations of parents look different? Can you think of some examples where Christ-centered parenting and child-centered parenting clash?